Visa Fraud Monitoring Service
Watching for VISA Check Card Fraud
Northern Skies FCU receives fraud detection and prevention services from a company called Pemco Technologies. It has a staff of Fraud Analysts that operate 24/7. These analysts have a variety of tools available to help them recognize potential fraud.
To Catch a Thief
Some of these tools involve alerts that are placed on certain types of card transactions. For example, Fraud Analysts may be watching for:
- Multiple high dollar amount transactions taking place in a short period of time.
- Transactions with merchants who are considered high risk or suspicious.
- A transaction that takes place in a country where a large amount of fraud is occurring.
- Multiple failed attempts to enter the correct PIN.
- A pattern of spending that is completely different than what you have exhibited in the past.
- These are just a few of many different events that can trigger an alert. A sophisticated computer program helps analysts spot problems and see spending patterns that are unusual.
What You Should Know
There are a few simple things you can do to keep fraud at a minimum and keep our fraud prevention experts informed:
- If you are planning to travel to a foreign country or to place an unusually large expense on your credit card, call your credit union and let us know.
- If you receive a call from a Pemco Fraud Analyst, he or she has received an alert of possible fraud. Your cooperation can help stop theft. You may be asked questions such as "Did you make a purchase today at XYZ store?" Remember: a real Fraud Analyst will never ask you for your card number. If you are suspicious of the call, hang up and contact your credit union.
- If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately. Call or visit www.reportmycards.com to report your missing card and also contact Northern Skies about replacing the card.
- Do not reply to emails that ask for your credit or debit card number, Northern Skies FCU is the best place to go for questions or concerns.
Remember: In any event that you have a question or concern about your financial security make sure to contact a trusted Northern Skies FCU representative right away!