If you are a victim of identity theft, these are just some of the steps you may want to consider.
- Notify Northern Skies FCU and any other institutions where you have accounts so those accounts can be protected.
- Immediately report stolen credit, debit, and ATM cards to the card issuers. Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card, or for fraudulent transfers, depends on how quickly you report the loss.
- Notify the DMV if your driver's license has been stolen.
- Place fraud alerts with credit bureaus.
- Check credit reports. You are entitled to a free report once a fraud alert is filed.
- File a request to have fraudulent information removed.
- Place a fraud alert with the Social Security Administration.
- Notify the postal inspector if the identity theft is the result of mail fraud. Your local post office can direct you.
- Review accounts and use standard affidavits to report disputes (available from FTC - link below).
- Close accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- File a police report and keep a copy.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov
- Keep a log of all the steps you take; include the names, titles, phone numbers and extensions of people you speak to.
Who To Contact
Federal Trade Commission ID Theft Center provides detailed information and reporting assistance, links to credit bureaus' fraud reporting centers. Instructions and ID Theft affidavit available here or call toll free (438-4338).
PO Box 2002
Allen Texas 75013
PO Box 2000
Chester PA, 19022-2000
PO Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374